Friday, July 17, 2020

Comet

It has been a while since I’ve rambled. Last evening when I walked my dogs I was reminded that it could be possible for me to see the Comet NEOWISE, though typically of me I remembered it would be in the southern sky at sunset, or sunrise . . Luckily, as I walked the trail I passed Barney Park, and there was a whole passel of folk set up watching the northwest sky. Ah-ha! I thought, and watched as I walked. 

What I realized as I did so, is that it has been a long time since I have paid attention to the sunset, and watched bats flying, and seen the sky deepening and stars lighting up. I have been becoming more observant with the weird anxieties around COVID-19 and have been focusing on the wonderment of nature on my walks, or in my yard to take my focus away from the hamster- wheel of anxiety. Last night’s sunset was slow and soft, the colors washes of pastel, light fading slowly in the western sky. When I finally saw the comet trail it was very subtle, but still impressive. 

Winter Count, 1976.14.01      

I got to thinking how much Celestial events affect us and did so in the past. We have in our collection a winter count which depicts major events over a series of years, typically something major for each year. This winter count records smallpox epidemics, a flood, a celestial event among its depictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment