Thursday, May 7, 2020

Rambling

One of the fun things I’ve been allowed to do during this C-19 crisis is to ramble. As I’ve said before, I am just an exhibit designer, not a curator, and not a historian. My position gives me the pleasure of gleaning bits and pieces from our collections and the exhibits we create. The curators for said exhibits get to do the challenging part, researching and picking representative artifacts—and of course dealing with the exhibit crew, who always want more information, sooner so I can design and our carpenter can pre-construct mounts, cases, walls. I appreciate learning the history and thought processes involved, but then am always challenging curators to say less, and presenting them with the limits we have with time, space and budget. What a wet blanket.


Argyle Vest by Roberta Jones Wallace

That said, I also love that I get to draw for the rambles, as well as pull images from our collections. That too is some of the fun with exhibit fabrication, which is creating space and graphics which hopefully will augment the story and show off the collections!

No comments:

Post a Comment