Monday, May 4, 2020

Elk Head Horn Spoon


In an earlier post, I rambled about an amazing horn spoon in our collections, relaying only the basic of information about it, mainly what it was and its accession number. One of my friends who has been reading my rambles, and has very much an inquiring mind, wanted to know more. I forget sometimes to pass on more information, even though I ramble about the importance of the story associated with so many of our pieces. Of course, then I wouldn’t be rambling. (sort of)

The elk, as many other animals, feature in the mythology, songs and social organization, and art of the Lakota and other American Indians.
Animals are often represented in totems for personal sources of strength and power. The specific traits of an animal or insect could be utilized exemplifying behavior. (i.e.—the elk might represent beauty, gallantry and protection (Dinsmore, 1918). A person with elk medicine may strive to exemplify those characteristics. I hesitate to presume too much in this context, although as an artist and woodcarver, I find that I often need to understand the animals I depict (their behavior, environment, mythology) in order to try and represent their “spirit” or essence. So I extrapolate my experience and what I have read and interpreted about American Indian art.

Spoon, Lakota, cow horn, ca. 1900, MHS x1982.44.2


No comments:

Post a Comment